Already during the first days of her term of office, Melina Mercouri, setting her priorities, decided to strongly support the project of conservation of the Acropolis monuments and at the same time she undertook the initiative for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles.
These two essential choices Melina Mercouri made, relied upon a firm conviction: that the Acropolis monuments, as an integral entity of unique artistic value, convey the classical Greek spirit and as universal symbols, embody values, principles and ideals which contemporary societies strive to attain.
Thus the Foundation oriented its activities towards this direction and set the following goals, which it expects to achieve in addition to the actions of the Greek State and through close collaboration with its official authorities:
- To undertake and coordinate all activities for the reunification of the Parthenon Marbles
- To promote activities for the creation of the New Acropolis Museum
- To organize exhibitions, lectures, congresses, publications and educational programs for the promotion of the values and ideals of the Greek civilization, with special emphasis on their current and universal character
- To grant scholarships to university graduates for postgraduate studies in History, Literature, Archaeology or Anthropology
- To award monetary prize to scientists or artists in acknowledgement of their work in general
Attorney at Law, Vice-President